Thursday, February 5, 2009

The unidentified Talent

The unidentified talent
-by Paromah Sen
3/1/2007

On a usual Thursday January morning, I woke up from my deep slumber (late as usual) and found myself pushing myself to complete the usual daily morning chores before I could finally prepare to get ready to go to work.

Sleepy and tired, and jaded more than ever, I slowly made my way through each chore and realized I was running late, I pushed myself to finish faster and reached the part where I had to press my chosen white cotton outfit for the day. Cotton Outfit. Do you know how incredibly tough it is to iron out a cotton outfit yourself? I mean, it’s close to impossible. I mean, it requires talent!

A complete cotton outfit requires wisdom to ease the creases out!

I started ironing my cute white dress but but but… the creases just stayed!
See, I have this little issue with myself. I don’t like, rather I hate sending my clothes out to the laundry or the iron guy (dhobi in India) because I just prefer doing things for myself…. !

And, I suffer thanks to my silly traits. Because, unknown to a majority of us, dhobi’s actually have this immense amount of handed down talent to be able to make our outfits look like what they are suppose to… they press, they iron, they know the right temperature to do it at, for each varied material and their specialized knowledge in this area is amazing when thought of really!

But, of course, like is common in the true world – talent goes unnoticed / unidentified. True talent is always sitting around in the backseat.

They probably get a remuneration that would make the most of us snicker… but that is a fact. And a fact of life is that true talent usually goes unidentified. Sure, there are a few out there who are completely recognized for their talents but when you look at the number of people the worldover, the number of talented people / acts that go unnoticed is significant and it’s significantly rising.

What could I do to fix it? Well nothing really. I am in the backseat myself… helpless, waiting, uncertain, ridden with doubt.

Life is this.

Smile and the world smiles with you, cry and you cry alone.

…..So I smile and hide my tears…..