Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Billing per second on mobile usage


As an everyday working girl, i usually and mostly and mainly communicate and live life via the magic of wireless devices: of which: my laptop and mobile phone play the lead roles.

Of course, the constant mantra of "being on the move" which in today's times translate into, "being in touch while on the move" add to the world's obsession with the latest telecom gadgets. Needless to say, with the obsession comes the pros and cons and also the - Bills.

The basic and most important rule of commerce is , "time is money". The invention of mobile technology and the constant increase in usage of the same match this age-old rule, with no bounds. As on a day like today, i can openly ""boast"" of how my work has made me a slave to technology. With my work mobile and personal mobile and my work laptop and personal laptop, i basically habitate in the new modern day's version of the 4 walls of a house. Yes, i can openly say that i live within these 4 gadgets, as does, any of my other counterparts in a busy metro.

I let my already wild imagination run wilder a few days ago...

I was in cab, passing a busy street & i kind of let my eyes wander around to see what was around me. My plain brown eyes fell upon an advert by Tata Docomo which publicized proudly their new gimmick in the world of telecom - Mobile phone usage billing per second.

Of course, majority of my peers and counterparts and enemies , foes and friends would be THRILLED to have this new theme in mobile phone billing. Any why not? Who would'nt want to save their bucks in any way possible?

Now, one of the hidden rules of commerce also doesnt let competition get in the way of retaining clients.
Which basically would mean that, Tata's new theme would soon be introduced by other mobile phone service providers, too! And why not? Who would want to loose their clients just like that to any other service provider?

That day, the day that was a few days ago... as i read the ad and thought about the chain reaction that would kick start thanks to Tata's head of product innovation using his brain, i wondered and imagined what the new world with the new 4 walls would turn into, in a few months , maybe just a meagre years from now.

I imagined a girl called "Moo" and a boy called "Doo", about 18 years of age, being in love. I imagined Moo and Doo talking endlessly on their mobile phones, endless meaning, non-stop to the core, day in and day out. And, why not? If they are in love and they get charged by their mobile phone service providers PER SECOND, why shouldnt they do the "coocheee coo" a normal couple in love is subjected to, over the phone?
I mean, there's nothing wrong with it and well, "Doo" will land up saving alot of money this way , anyway.

I imagined, "Moo" and "Doo" hardly meeting in person because it was cheaper and quicker to talk on their mobiles for hours on end.

I imagined tomorrow's couples not experiencing the lovely simplicity and natural magic of dates, watching movies together, going on a boat ride, together.
I imagined no long drives with the music playing and no road trips and no walking along the sea shore hand in hand.

And then, I looked at the "mobile billing per second" ad and thought of when my own service provider would add this theme too! And i thought of how i would probably waste more of my living hours, being on the phone.

My work cell phone rang at exactly the precise moment as did my own personal cell phone then. I looked at the 2 cell phones and started imagining a world where cell phones were actually living creatures.

I thought of how "Moo" and "Doo" could probably, in tomorrow's world, very well be 2 cell phones in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment